How to Choose a New Pillow. Choose a comfortable pillow filled with the finest natural materials. This will give your neck optimum support and will keep your body correctly aligned.
We all think we know How to Choose a New Pillow. However, comfort is only one of the key points you should consider before making your decision. A bad pillow can give you neck, back and shoulder problems. We spend a third of our lives in bed so it’s important to have the correct pillow. Here are some tips on how to choose a new pillow.
How to Choose a New Pillow: How Old is Your Pillow?
Do you know how long you’ve been sleeping with your existing pillow? If you can’t remember, then it’s probably way past it’s best. The Sleep Council recommends that you change your pillow every 1-2 years.
If your pillow is 12 months old or older, it’s probably full of dust mites and bacteria, which are major triggers for allergies, asthma and other health issues.
Old and unwashed pillows could contain as much as 10% of its weight in skin scale mould, dead and living dust mites and their allergen laden droppings! This is a truly shocking fact. So, you should be considering the health benefits as well as how to choose a new pillow.
Your head weighs 4.5-5.5 kilos (10-12lb). Your neck contains 7 of the spine’s 33 vertebrae. Don’t you think these important parts of your body deserve to be supported whilst your sleep. It’s crucial that you are aware of the facts which will help you decide how to choose a new pillow.
How to Choose a New Pillow: As Well as Comfort, Have You Considered Your Health?
Do you suffer from any of the following symptoms?
- Neck pain
- Stiff Neck
- Bad Posture
Poor pillow support can be one of the reasons for these symptoms.
If the height of your pillow is too high or low, your neck will be out of alignment, causing muscle and joint strain. You can even wake with headaches. No matter what position you lie in, your pillow should be under your head, but not your shoulders.
Searching for the solution to your pain will help you determine how to choose a new pillow to alleviate those aches and pains and relieve pressure points.
How to Choose a New Pillow and avoid snoring.
A lack of pillow support can also cause narrowing of the air pipe. This can obstruct breathing. We can all guess what happens now can’t we ladies ……. the snoring starts. Do you lie awake for hours listening to your partner snoring?
- You quietly whisper ‘Shh’ in his ear ….
- Then you say it a little louder ‘Shh’ …..
- Followed by a little tap on his shoulder …
- A quick poke in the ribs won’t hurt ….
- Then maybe a little discreet kick on the shin ….
- Then perhaps you’re brave enough to squeeze his/her nose ….. So Good luck!
And, more often than not, it ends in an argument.
You will wake feeling irritable after a very disturbed night’s sleep and less able to deal with work the following day.
You can help to alleviate this problem and regain your sanity. Help your partner to decide how to choose a new pillow.
How do you stop your partner from snoring?
For the most amusing story we will give away a White Goose Feather and Down Pillow.
What Is Your Preferred Sleep Position?
This is the question you should ask yourself when deciding how to choose a new pillow. All our pillows will suit all types of sleepers but as a general guide:
- Stomach Sleepers – Choose a soft, fairly flat pillow. Having a soft pillow will allow your neck to stay more in line with your spine. Our Canadian and Siberian Goose Feather and Down range would be the perfect choice.
- Back Sleepers – Choose a medium pillow. If it’s too thick it will push your head forward. Our Canadian, Hungarian and White Goose Feather and Down range would be the perfect choice.
- Side Sleepers – Choose a medium pillow to help support the neck. So our Wool range would be the perfect choice.
- A mixture of all or some of the above – Choose a medium pillow.
Read our facts on how to choose a new pillow.
How to Choose a New Pillow and what Filling Should You Choose?
Another factor to consider when asking yourself how to choose a new pillow is the preferred pillow filling. Note, all our pillows are filled with the finest natural materials. Natural materials i.e. feather and down and wool are breathable and will keep you at the optimum temperature throughout the night compared with synthetic products.
- Feather and Down Pillows – These will give you optimum comfort and will support your head. The result of this is that it eliminates pressure points.
- Wool Pillows – These give added support and are antibacterial, hypoallergenic and naturally resistant to dust mites.
The Natural Bedding Company produces the finest quality Natural Pillows that breathe. When deciding how to choose a new pillow you should be looking for:
- Luxurious Comfort
- Optimum Support
- Superior Quality Materials
We spend a third of our lives sleeping, so it’s important you have the best quality bedding. We have the perfect natural pillows to meet your individual requirements.